At 1517 on March 21, Engine 5, Truck 1 and Car 2 were dispatched to a report of a motor vehicle roll over on Route 128 South bound between exits 18 and 19. Engine 5 arrived first to find a vehicle off the road on its roof. The female operator was already out of the vehicle, sitting on the side of the highway. Lieutenant Donald Philpot assisted by Firefighters Brian Miller and Ryan Laracy assessed the victim for injuries and took precautionary measures treating her for potential injuries. Northeast Regional Ambulance arrived on scene and the victim was transported to Beverly Hospital for evaluation. She did not appear to have any life threatening injuries.
Once the victim was transported from the scene, Cross Towing arrived with two truck to remove the vehicle which had struck a tree, taking it down before it rolled. The vehicle was resting on its roof on top of the tree in a marshy area between Rte 128 and Dunham Rd. The Cross crews were able to quickly pull the vehicle out of the trees and upright it. Firefighters then made the vehicle safe and it was loaded onto a flatbed and removed from the scene.
Engine 5 and Car 2 were tied up at the scene until 1555. Beverly and State Police assisted on the highway.
The Beverly Fire Department responded to 13 storm related calls on March 15 as of 1730. Many of the calls were the result of water filled basements but others were caused by water through smoke detectors.
The most serious incident occurred at 5 Thoreau Circle after a person using a gasoline powered pump to remove water from their basement had high carbon monoxide readings in their home. When firefighters arrived, they used a gas meter to determine that there were extremely high levels of carbon monoxide in the home. After a brief investigation, a gasoline powered pump being used to pump out the basement was just outside the basement window. The exhaust from the pump was being blown back into the home filling it with the dangerous gas.
Firefighters shut down the gas powered pump and Department of Public Works crews replaced it with an electric pump. Fire crews then used a fan to remove the dangerous gas from the home. The occupants stated they would transport themselves to the hospital.
It is very important to remember that carbon monoxide is colorless and odorless. Without special carbon monoxide detectors, the gas can rapidly affect the body’s ability to transport blood ultimately causing the person exposed to suffocate. Current laws require the use of carbon monoxide detectors on every habitable floor of a home. In this case, the detectors provided warning that the gas was present.
At another incident involving water in the basement, water affecting a boiler in the basement at 8 Seward Ave cause two wires to arc and burn up. Firefighters were able to isolate power to the boiler and no further damage occurred.
Firefighters spent a good portion of their day on Monday shutting off gas and oil utilities in the basements of homes filling with water. Once utilities were secured, the homeowner’s names were placed on a list for pump-out by Public Works.
At 0725 on March 14, 2010, the Beverly Fire Department responded to the parking lot at 502 Manor Rd for a report of a motor vehicle fire. Upon arrival, Lt. Robert Atherton and his crew found a Pontiac Grand Am with fire fully involving the engine compartment. A second vehicle was threatened by the fire in an adjacent parking spot.
Atherton and his crew immediately advanced a hose on the fire knocking it down before prying the hood open and completely extinguishing the blaze. Although the bulk of the fire was in the engine compartment, there was heat, smoke and water damage to the passenger compartment of the vehicle.
The adjacent vehicle, an Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme suffered paint damage from the radiant heat of the fire. A cause of the fire is not currently available. Engine 5 was tied up at the scene until 0830.
At 0842 on March 14, 2010, Engine 3 was dispatched to a report of a tree and wires down at 4 Hillcrest Rd in Beverly Farms. Crews arrived to find live power lines on the ground and stood by for National Grid. A firefighter remained on scene until 1341.
At 1706 on March 13, the Beverly Fire Department responded to 11 Pillow Lace Ln for a report of a chimney fire. Deputy Chief Peter O’Connor arrived first to find fire in the chimney with no apparent extension to the structure. Initial crews from Engine 5 climbed onto the roof of the home and removed a chimney cap then lowered chains into the chimney to break up burning creosote in the chimney flue. Additional crews from Engine 3 and Truck 1 worked inside the home checking walls with thermal imaging cameras to ensure the fire remained in the confines of the chimney and removing burning material from a wood burning stove on the first floor.
The fire did not extend to the structure and after the fire was extinguished, firefighters advised the homeowner to have his chimney and fireplace checked and cleaned before using them again. All fire personnel were clear at 1800.
Firefighter Ryan Laracy and Lieutenant Kevin Smith prepare to advance on a car fire
Car Fire 3/3/10
At 1028 on March 3, Engine 1 was dispatched to a report of a vehicle fire on Route 128 in the area of exit 20. Upon arrival, firefighters found a 1994 Toyota Camry with heavy fire in the engine compartment.
Lt. Kevin Smith and Firefighter Ryan Laracy advanced a hose line to the car while Firefighter Mark brewer operated the pump. With State Police Troopers blocking all traffic on the highway, Laracy and Smith were able to quickly knock down the heavy fire.
All crews were clear of the scene by 1056 and the highway was reopened. The fire was a result of a motor vehicle accident in which there were no injuries. The second vehicle involved, a Jeep Liberty, could be driven away from the scene.