At 1930 on January 16, the Beverly Fire Department responded to a report of a building fire at 242 Dodge St. Upon arrival, crews found occupants reporting smoke in the second floor and a possible chimney fire. After a brief investigation, it was determined that there was a fire in the wall between an indoor wood burning stove and a chimney built against the exterior wall.
Crews from Engine 5, Engine 1 and Ladder 1 worked at the scene to uncover and extinguish the fire hidden in the walls. Crews also used thermal imaging cameras to look for fire extension in the living space above the garage. None was found.
The fire was caused by a chimney connector attached to an operating wood burning stove conducting heat to combustible building materials in the void space between a brick veneer wall and the exterior chimney. Damage was confined to the wall structure in the immediate area and some electrical wiring in that vicinity.
Damage is estimated at less than $10,000 and no one was reported injured at the fire. The homeowner and the family were not displaced by this incident.